Thursday, October 3, 2013

Warhammer 40k - My Deathwing assault again!

Excuse the pun but I finally broke out my Deathwing for a game last night against an old hobby friend.  I need to get as much practice as I can for Orktoberfest 2013.  Not because I'm playing but because I need to be up on the rules more than the players.  Being the organizer I am also the rules lawyer and dispute mediator among the competitors.

Anyways, I was playing 1000 points (mostly because all the big tables were being used at the place we played at and we got stuck with a smaller table) with the following list:
  • Belial - Sword of Secrets, Storm Bolter
  • 5 man Deathwing Squad - Assault Cannon, 1 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 1 pair of Lightning Claws, 1 Chainfist
  • 5 man Deathwing Squad - Cyclone Missile launcher, 1 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 1 Chainfist
  • 3 man Ravenwing Attack Squadron - 2 meltaguns, Attack Bike with multi-melta
  • Ravenwing Land Speeder - Typhoon Missile Launcher, Heavy Bolter
  • Ravenwing Land Speeder - Typhoon Missile Launcher, Heavy Flamer
My opponent brought out his Tyranids and had the following list
  • Swarmlord - 4 biomancy powers (Endurance, Quickening, Hemorrhage and Life Leech)
  • 2 Tyrant Guard
  • 3 Hive Guard
  • 30 Hormagaunts
  • 30 Termagants in a mycetic spore with the dual shot S4 guns.
I had a big advantage on the table as I a was able to score the deployment zone that had a clear view of a large open field in the centre of the table and I had him deploy first.  The quickest way to get to my forces was through the open field and I was able to just blast his big guys away with the krak missiles and clean up the bugs with my bolters.  If he opted to go through the cover it would have taken longer I think and even with his termagant spore attack, the Deathwing terminator armor just shrugged it off.  Admittedly, I find Deathwing armies to be rather overpowered in small point matches.

Going to try and get some more games in before the event.  Despite not buying any Games Workshop related items, pushing around their army men is still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment