Sunday, August 14, 2011

1st Place at 'Ard Boyz in PG

Played at the 'Ard Boyz hosted by Great White Entertainment in Prince George and managed to fight my way through a Blood Angels army, Dark Eldar army and an Imperial Guard army to place first. I earned 2 massacres and a major victory to secure my spot in the semis which, thankfully, this year is being held somewhere nearby (i.e. I don't have to drive 13 hours or fly across the country).

My list was similar to the one I posted previously with a few minor changes (I swapped out the venerable on the dreadnoughts for twin-lascannons and swapped out the heavy flamers for missile launchers, that meant I had to drop a chainfist from Belial's squad though).

So here's a brief summary of how the games went.



Game 1 - vs. Blood Angels
- Opponent had a podding furioso with blood lance and I made the mistake of deploying everything together. I lost 2 land raiders on turn 1.
- Opponent had a lot more KPs than I did (and his were a lot easier to get than mine)
- Very close match but I ended up getting the traitor so the huge swing in KPs was enough to secure the massacre (the traitor I had was alive)

Game 2 - vs. Dark Eldar
- Dark Lances vs. 3 land raiders = not enough shots to reliably take one down on turn 1. My opponent despite having 13 dark lances could not take down any of my land raiders on turn 1 (he ripped off a gun from the crusader and stunned another.
- Dreadnoughts vs. Incubi = tarpit. Couldn't shoot down his incubi raider (evil flickerfield) so they managed to chomp on one Deathwing squad but the dreadnought came in and tied them up for the entire game. A squad of wyches with haywires finally got it but that came on his turn 5.
- Flicker fields are a pain in the ass, but his vehicles exploded rather easily. Especially if melta was shooting at them.
- Last ditch effort on his part to contest the centre objective was met with failure as my pintle-mounted multi-melta on my speeder got his venom and the resulting warriors were roasted with the heavy flamer from the last surviving terminator from Belial's squad.
- Major victory holding the centre objective and him holding none.

Game 3 - vs. Imperial Guard
- Opponent was not prepared for an army like mine. Had a lot of things in his army that were meant for hordes of 3+ or 4+ or 5+ armour saves (he had a full Griffon squadron, very little melta, no demolisher)
- He did shoot down one squad on turn 1 but it wasn't enough. My terminators eventually got to his line and just crushed him.
- His one plasma squad was unable to kill one of my terminator squads despite wounding everyone (lucky 5+ invuln that time)
- Massacre for me with him having only a storm trooper squad left.

My list for reference again

HQ
Belial - Lightning Claws

Troops
Deathwing Squad 1 - 1 LC, 1 TH&SS, 1 Apothecary, 1 HF & PF, 1 SB & PF
Deathwing Squad 2 - 1 TH & SS, 1 Cyclone, 1 SB & CF
Deathwing Squad 3 - 1 TH & SS & Cyclone, 1 SB & CF
Deathwing Squad 4 - 1 Cyclone, 1 SB & CF

Fast Attack
1 Ravenwing Speeder - MM & Typhoon
1 Ravenwing Speeder - MM & Typhoon
3 Ravenwing Bikes - 2 MG, AB w/MM, MB

Heavy Support
2 Land Raiders
1 Land Raider Crusader

Elite
Dreadnought - Twin LC & ML
Dreadnought - Twin LC & ML

With the 1st place prize I finally got my box of Grey Knight terminators (though they had to order it for me so I won't actually have it for another week or so). Time to properly convert an apothecary and standard bearer for Belial and maybe make a new Belial model.

1 comment:

  1. my comment was lost so I will write it again, but shorter =)

    GJ all around, youve inspired me

    ReplyDelete