Friday, October 21, 2011

Lists for the Remembrance Day Challenge....

So regardless of my reservations about the tournament format, I'm still going to try and play. Hopefully my super themed army of terminators won't affect my army selection score too much. Considering everyone will outnumber me (aside from maybe Grey Knights) it shouldn't be too bad.

Unfortunately deciding on what to bring at 1850 is causing me a lot of problems. I have, however decided on at least the core. Regardless of what list I use it will at least contain the following:
HQ
Belial - Claws (maybe TH & SS if I can get the shield arm painted in time)

Troops
Deathwing Squad 1 - Apothecary, 1 TH & SS, 1 pair of Claws
Deathwing Squad 2 - 1 TH & SS, Cyclone, Chainfist
Deathwing Squad 3 - 1 TH & SS, Cyclone, Chainfist
Deathwing Squad 4 - Cyclone, Chainfist

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Land Speeder - Multi-Melta, Typhoon
Ravenwing Land Speeder - Multi-Melta, Typhoon

This brings the core part of my list to 1245 points. So I have 605 points to spend. Here are the best options available to me based on what is painted and/or easy to paint given the time I have (these are the best in my opinion at least)


Option 1 - Land Raiders
My usual lists pack two Land Raiders, one Crusader, one Standard. Gives Belial's squad a ride (they usually pack a heavy flamer) and can protect one other terminator squad from small arms. The last 100 points or so would go towards another Land Speeder Typhoon, a heavy weapon for Belial's Squad and misc. upgrades.
Pros: Transports, heavy armour, more ranged firepower, more anti-infantry firepower, nothing extra to paint
Cons: Big targets, easy to kill big targets if I get a bad matchup

Option 2 - Mixed Armour
This one would see one of the land raiders (probably the standard one) replaced by a Vindicator and an Auto/Las Predator, then add a Typhoon and heavy weapon to Belial's squad again. The crusader can carry Belial's squad and I have the same amount of long range firepower plus a lot more midrange firepower.
Pros: Transport, lots of armour, lots of ranged firepower, lots of mid-range firepower
Cons: Big targets, easier to kill targets, midrange firepower kind of conflicts with terminators

Option 3 - Medium Armour
With this I was planning on bringing an Tri-Las Predator, Vindicator and two dreadnoughts (armament would most likely be Twin-Lascannon and Dread Weapon with Heavy Flamer). This has the most powerful long range firepower of the options (5 lascannons), added close combat ability, units that can tarpit things that don't have anti-vehicle grenades and has good anti-infantry firepower. Unfortunately no transports for any of the terminators and I can't give Belial's squad a heavy weapon aside from a heavy flamer.
Pros: Lots of firepower, S10 close combat weapons, tarpit units
Cons: No transports, no heavy armour, all terminators are exposed to small arms fire, have to paint one dreadnought

I don't think there's any other good options for me given the painted models I have (I've got two tactical squads, a 3-man bike squad with attack bike and a drop pod that's painted). Still a few weeks to go so lots of time to sort of decide.

On the plus side I've got lots of testing done with the core of the list (played the core at 'Ard Boyz, and tested scenarios for Orktoberfest with it) so I can at least avoid some testing prior to the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment