Friday, May 25, 2012

The Price of Gaming (Games Workshop Style)

It's probably common knowledge to anyone who plays wargames that Games Workshop is increasing prices again.  I kind of understand the business side of things and totally understand that this is a hobby so it's not like raising the price on food, but still it is kind of depressing to see a hobby get more and more expensive.  Especially so when extra funds are limited and when I want to get back into Warhammer Fantasy gaming.

One fortunate thing about Fantasy games though is that there are a lot of companies out there that produce fantasy figures at a much reduced price compared to GWs.  GW (in my view) kind of has the futuristic grimdark setting monopoly (no other company could produce space marine like figures without getting a lot of legal flak) but in the fantasy realm they don't (a dwarf is a dwarf whether it is a GW dwarf or a non-GW dwarf).  So I've decided to build a Dogs of War/Empire army using figures from other companies.

It's going to be much cheaper and hopefully after a coat of paint look just as good.  I decided not to do a dwarf army (see previous post about Mantic Dwarves) as I really don't like their playstyle and besides, I can always fit dwarves into a Dogs of War army if I decide to buy some Mantic Dwarves in the future.

I already have a bunch of knights, heroes and wizards from Bretonnia that could easily fit in with any DoW/Empire army so part of the army is already made.  I just need infantry and I think I'll take those from Wargames Factory.

I could use their Samurai Warriors to represent swordsmen/greatswords/paymaster bodyguard (armed with katana), the Ashigaru Yari Troops as pikemen/spearmen, the Ashigaru Missile Troops as crossbowmen/handgunners and their Viking Huscarls to represent norse marauders/flagellants.

As an Empire army using the vastly different styles of models might be awkward but for a Dogs of War army not so much I think.  After all the Dogs of War are mercenaries from all over the world.  I just hope the local gamer folk don't mind me using alternate figures to play Warhammer Fantasy.  Admittedly I could just try and get ancients/historical gaming going but that I think is going to be harder as it requires investment from more people.

2 comments:

  1. What infantry figs from Wargames Factory were you considering? Can I suggest for Dogs of War/Empire that the War of the Roses Mercenaries from the Perry Bros are considered very good, and Warlord games makes some nice pike and shotte infantry. I was considering using them to make a Dogs of War/ Fields of Glory 30years war army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use their Samurai Warriors to represent swordsmen/greatswords/paymaster bodyguard (armed with katana), the Ashigaru Yari Troops as pikemen/spearmen, the Ashigaru Missile Troops as crossbowmen/handgunners and their Viking Huscarls to represent norse marauders/flagellants.

      Would make for a very worldly Dogs of War army which I think would look quite cool.

      Delete